Saturday, January 14, 2006

On the road again...

In case you don't know this about me, let me tell you...one of the most reviled chores in my opinion is PACKING! Oh, it's so frustrating and overwhelming for me - I just hate it. I freak out about what I need to bring, about what I need to leave behind because I'm bringing too much, about EVERY, SINGLE possibility on EARTH that might occur while I'm away for which I need to be completely prepared....all the while wanting to keep it simple and light. A nightmare, that's what it is.

So, that is what I'm doing now. Yup, we're on the move again...and we are very excited! Sierra's been packing all week and is revved up.

While in Mexico, I began to realize that there was more to service than what I was doing and that I wanted my faith to be reflected more directly in the service work I was doing. I guess the word for what I am feeling would be called "evangelism"...ugh, that reviled of all words! This word has, for me, been the equivalent of a very, very dirty word and I stayed far - as far away as possible - from any association with that awful word and all it represented. No shoving of my faith and beliefs down others throats, nosiree! No soapbox on the street corner in my lifetime, uh uh. I still don't believe I'd ever do those things...but I began to see that evangelism wasn't necessarily only those stereotypical views of it. Most of all, I realized I was totally unprepared for it.

This process all led me to an organization called Youth With A Mission (YWAM) - it's a group I've been familiar with for a long time, and so several months ago I began to take steps into exploring the idea of going through a Discipleship Training School more thoroughly. All of this has culminated in us leaving tomorrow for a 6 month trip. We'll go to Chico, California for 12 weeks of training and then on to Fiji for 8-10 weeks of mission outreach. I'm so excited!!! I know, I know...Fiji - rough place to have to go! Well, I guess we'll just suck it up and get going...haha!!

Well, my plan for this blog site is to continue using it as a journal and to be more consistent in updating it. Apparently we will be having to turn in a weekly journal during our training, so I am thinking I will just use my blog as my journal so you all get the real "inside" scoop. I am hoping that more of you will leave comments!! I hadn't realized how many people were reading this blog and was feeling like I was just writing it in thin air, but many of you have let me know that you read it and like it...so I'm hoping you'll leave comments for me to encourage me to keep on going!

Okay, well, here is an excerpt from the letter I sent my pastor some months ago explaining where my heart is regarding missions and evangelism....

"The more I am here, the deeper I want to go. In many ways, I feel vey unprepared and unequipped for missions...and I want to become more prepared and equipped. I also feel like I hear God saying "come deeper with me" and I feel this (very strange) desire for evangelism! That is really a 180 degree turn for me, as I usually shy far away from that word! We are loving people, and serving people...and I find myself wanting it to be MORE in the name of Jesus, and bringing the Word of God to people. I still love the children and my heart is still deep with orphans.
As I was thinking and praying on this, I thought about going to a missions school to get more equipped and found the YWAM Crossroads Discipleship Training School. What do you think of YWAM and the DTS/CDTS program? I am interested in attending. I feel like this time here in Mexico has confirmed that I do want to pursue missions more, and also that I want to do so with more preparation, and with a team of other believers."



No comments: