Tuesday, June 21, 2005

After the "BIG SALE"

Wow...you go through life thinking you *NEED* this and you *NEED* that and you look around and all you can see are the things you lack and what would be *perfect* for this nook or that cranny.

Yeah, but then you go off and decide to sell it all and up and move to Mexico to start a new life doing missions work with orphans so you decide to have a giant garage sale...or make that house sale, estate sale, sell-it-all sale or whatever. You pay $50 to advertise it and you put up signs all over the place and in two adrenaline filled, chaotic days you see that everything you worked for and sweated over and hoped for and thought would be the greatest thing is just....junk. Yup...that pretty much sums it up. That whole "one persons junk is another's treasure" principle up front and center.

So, that's what I did this past weekend - I sold the net sum of all I'm worth and all I've collected over the years. I don't know if getting $.05 cents on the dollar (and that's being generous) is depressing or just plain eye-opening. WOW! When everything you have to live and furnish a 4-bedroom, 3-bath home is sold for a net sum of $1500, you realize it's not so important to buy all that stuff in the first place. Ah well...lessons learned, right? Hopefully this lesson will stick with me when I am in the position to "nest" in another home.

It's pretty cool, actually - an empty house and I have to say, I like it!! I could definitely get used to a simpler lifestyle.

Five days to go...the days are getting more and more chaotic as I try to say goodbye to everyone. Next week this time we'll be in San Miguel de Allende, relaxing!!

No comments: