Thursday, June 09, 2005

Planning and Preparation

Tomorrow is my last day of work. WOW!! I'm in that hyper-excited phase and just have a ton of energy. It's cool! I can't even believe I won't be "working" for the next year or so. At least not the 9-5 working for a paycheck kind of work. It feels good, but of course, I'm a little worried about staying on budget and keeping costs down. I've neve been very good at that!

As I think about it, I haven't had a *true* summer off since I was 13 or 14 years old! I started working as a babysitter when I was only 9 or 10 (ok - what kind of crazy parent lets a 10 year old be in charge???? That freaks me out when I think about it. Sierra is 10!!!). By the time I was 12 I was babysitting several days a week and raking in the cash - come 13 or 14, I pretty much had a regular job babysitting. That was back in the day when kids charged $1 per hour - whether it was one kid or 5. Whatever happened to those days?? Kids these days charge $5 for the first kid...and then additional for more.

ANYWAY...so, back to the point - this will be my first summer off in many a year. We spend our first 10 weeks just traveling around and checking out various parts of Mexico. We start off in San Miguel de Allende, which is a colonial city where a lot of artist-types congregate. My friend Geri will be there taking Spanish classes, so we thought we'd meet up with her for a week to hang out. From there, we go to Cuernavaca for our own language school and then 6 weeks of who-knows-what.

There are so many details that I need to take care of, and only a little over 2 weeks to do it all - I'm worried about getting them all done, but in the end I'm sure it'll work out.

Oh yeah - the swim party went well. About 60 people showed up and kids were having fun swimming and being crazy in the pool. The bummer was that it was freezing! We'd had days of hot, hot, hot - but the night of the party, the temp started dropping fast and the wind really picked up. Of course, the kids didn't even notice unless they got OUT of the pool...haha.

Next on the list...packing!! Garage sale!! And a million other little things...I'll have to put a list on here of everything that needs to be done for future reference.

No comments: