Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Chac-Mool

We started language school today at Chac-Mool. I chose this school because they also offer classes for children and I thought Sierra would enjoy being in classes with other kids, doing things geared for children. I took my test and was placed in a class. In the morning we go over grammar and in the afternoon we have conversation. I was placed in I-3, and I am not sure where that lies in the big scheme of things. I think it is on the upper end, or maybe "me creo la muy muy" which means I think I am "all that" HAHA!!!!! So, the class seemed okay, but it seems that some of the people in my class are maybe in a level a bit higher than they should be and they slow it down a bit, but it makes me feel pretty smart. Oh yeah, so muy muy!

In my conversation class, we had to talk about the problems of the world and how we would fix them to practice the subjunctive verb. I brought up world hunger, which I happen to think is a very worthy problem to talk about. However, someone else brought up that George W. Bush is the problem of the world and everyone else in class jumped into that one with a fervor. As the sole Republican of the group, I was sweatin it a bit. I mean, I do not like to argue politics in ENGLISH, let alone Spanish! Ay yi yi! Isnt there a rule about not bringing up politics and religion in new company? Well, I guess that was out the door. I said my piece about my support of the Prez and I could tell that people were leaning a bit away from me. So much for making friends...

There were two ladies in the class who I liked right away, but I was not placed with them. Perhaps I will get a chance to talk with them more later in the week.

In the meantime, I did talk with a few people about how their host families were...seems like we definitely got the most "modest" accomodations...however, Sierra likes it and the family is nice and the grandma treats Sierra really well. I guess we will continue with our family despite the MTV fascination and the drip-a-minute shower.

Sierra is doing well. Yesterday she really wanted to call Grandma, Grandpa, Auntie and Cousins and her friends, so we bought a calling card. It started to rain. No it did not...it started to POUR. I mean, it was coming down like crazy, and there she was - braving the elements to call everyone. She was soaked to the bone. It was amazing how much rain came down. We sat on the steps of the Pharmacia and watched it while we drank a Coke. Now, how often do you do that in the States!! The thunder and lightening were lighting up the sky and shaking the earth and the water in the drains looked like a tsunami. We ran to a cafe after she called everyone for a chocolate caliente. We had had the best chocolate (hot chocolate) ever in San Miguel and were hoping for more of the same. Unfortunately it was not to be, so I guess we will have to go back to San Miguel for some more chocolate one day. Nonetheless, it warmed us up and we were able to pass the time until the rain slowed down and we could run home.

One thing I am really proud of Sierra for is how well she is eating food she does not like too much. She has not complained at all and eats with a smile and a "gracias" when our host mother feeds us. I did not even have to tell her! Buen niƱa!!

Well, I have lots of homework, so I guess I will sign off for now. I will be posting more photos when I get the chance.

Oh yeah...please forgive any wierd typos...the Mexican keyboard is different and strange to my fingers.

No comments: