Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Ugh

We called the bus station this morning. Or, the girl from the hostel did. She told us that we could take the 3:45, 4:45 or 11:00 bus to Puerto Escondido. We thought we'd take the 3:45.

Oh, but first...let me tell you - I stink. I mean, really bad!! I can't stand myself.

So, we left the hostel around 12:30 and figured we'd catch a movie and then go to the bus station. All was going well...the movie got out at a little before 3 and we caught a cab. The cab took us toward the bus station, but there was a traffic jam so he went another direction. The traffic was still jammed so he parked and said he'd walk us to the station. He set off at an Olympic pace and Sierra and I were struggling to keep up with our packs and the 100+ heat. We got to the station a few minutes later and they said it was the wrong one. So we walked another 5 blocks to another station. That was the wrong one, too. He took Sierra's pack and we headed back to the car. He said there was another station. I think we must have walked 12 or more blocks in total in the heat of the day with our packs.

When we got to the proper bus station, the bus had just left. I asked..."can we take a taxi and catch up to it????" but the girl said no, the whole bus was sold out. UGH. The 4:45 bus was a myth...the next one wouldn't be until 11. UGH. Ok, we'll take two tickets for the 11 o'clock bus.

Now, what to do for 5 hours? We couldn't go to the beach. Maybe a park? Well, the one we wanted to go to closes at 6. Another one? It wasn't very safe. Well, I guess we'll go to the mall.

Remember, I told you...I stink. I don't look much like a typical American tourist to Acapulco right now, let me tell you that!

So, on to the mall we went. First we went to the video game place and played video games. Then we wandered around and Sierra rode on one of those Euro-bungee things and then we wandered around some more and thought about a movie but aborted that idea. So, that finds us here, at the internet spot with still 2 1/2 hours to go. We are bored. Our tummies hurt. We are tired. We are stinky (or at least I am). This is fun!!!

I keep telling Sierra we'll look back on this some day and laugh. She doesn't believe me. For now, we're sending IM's to each other from opposite sides of the room. Hey, no one ever said we didn't know how to have fun. Well, I guess we'll just make lemonade out of our lìmones...and sleep all night on the bus.

Ugh.

No comments: